Monday, January 3, 2011

Haiti: 1 year later


300,000 people in two square miles – has been stricken by the cholera epidemic that first hit Haiti in October and has affected more than 121,000 people and killed 2,600.
 
I accomplished what seemed like mission impossible.  I had a ticket booked to go to Haiti December 26th to check on my people…

I woke up at 4am, was at the airport by 6am with 6 bags, only to be turned away 3 hours later because of an incoming snowstorm…  although there was not a drop of snow in sight…..    I had so many things lined up, my mind couldn’t rest I checked the airport daily, I finally got out Thursday December 30.

When I arrived it was hot…  I had just left the cold.   As we drove it looked frozen like September my last trip since the quake   Cite Soleil is worse.  It looks as if nothing has been done, the tents grew, it’s inhumane I was heartbroken…

We have to start somewhere I invite volunteers to come.  One person one family at a time.

The most immediate need is CLEAN WATER…  something we TAKE FOR GRANTED DAILY… 

EDUCATION IS THE WAY..

 

No comments:

Post a Comment